At my next dinner party I will be serving "Chabrot." I'll make the brothy soup, you bring the wine!
Chabrot (pronounce sha-broh)
Bowls of brothy soup
1 Bottle of inexpensive wine
1) Finish all soup solids, leaving just the broth
2) Announce "Let's make chabrot!"
3) Add wine to bowl (approx 1/2 the amount of broth)
4) In unison, diners put elbows on table and lift soup bowls
5) Everyone drink "chabrot" simultaneously
*Making chabrot was originally a peasant custom to get diners to clean their own plates.
- Recipe courtesy of Mark Oldman's Oldman's Brave New World of Wine